Oatmeal: My go-to breakfast
Servings: 1 bowl
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
- Rolled oatmeal. A good brand to use is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free* (stay away from Instant oatmeal packets, which often have a lot of sugar)
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Organic Grade A maple syrup
- Unsweetened shredded organic coconut
- Fresh fruit (I like to use berries and banana)
- Any other topping you want (chia seeds, almonds, etc.)
- Pour a cup of the almond milk into a pot. Mix in desired amount of cinnamon and let it all heat up on the stove. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat slightly and pour in 1 cup of oatmeal and two tsp of maple syrup**. Let the oats soak in the liquid, stirring occasionally
- Chop up your fruit. I like to use strawberries, blueberries, apple and banana. But feel free to add your favorites!
- When the oats have absorbed all the liquid they are ready! This will only take a few minutes. Careful to watch them as you don't want to over cook your oats.
- Pours the oats into a bowl. Mix in the unsweetened shredded coconut. mix in your fruits. Add any other topping such as chia seeds, nuts or almond butter.
- Sprinkle in cinnamon or other spices for flavor and added vitamins and minerals
*Oatmeal by nature is gluten-free, but because of processing and cross-contamination not all oatmeal is certified gluten-free unless it says so on the bag. For this reason, I prefer to buy oatmeal with the gluten-free label.
**At this point you can also add in a scoop of your favorite protein powder if desired. Mix it with the oats and let it absorb into the mixture.